Saturday, March 28, 2020

The Corona Chronicles- March 2020

March 28, 2002

I'm resurrecting my blog to chronicle the bizarre twist in history that is the Covoid-19 virus. I'm confident that, like other disastrous moments in history, this nightmare too shall pass and hopefully, in another ten years time, my grandchildren will study 2020 at school as a weird but successfully solved blip in our lives. And then in 50 years and 100 years time their children's children will study it too and maybe their great-great grandma's journaling will provide a useful primary resource for them.

Today is the first day of real impact for me. Up until now I've been at work so life has seemed relatively normal, seeing other people and quietly preparing for but not really affected by the crisis.

I had a basic mathematical understanding of exponential growth before but now we're living it, through the deadly statistics of the pandemic and the rapid change to our lifestyle.
Three weeks ago it was the Labour Day weekend. We went to Hamilton to watch Shakespeare in the Gardens on Saturday and to the MCG with 87,000 other people to watch the World Cup cricket final on Sunday. I was more careful than usual with my hand hygiene and I was little anxious in the crowded entrances but I didn't really feel at risk.

Two weeks ago, we went to a wedding. I remember thinking I should be more careful with my physical distancing but there were lots of lovely people there that I hadn't seen for ages and it seemed silly and over cautious not to hug them.

By last weekend, the reality of the numbers around the world started to sink in. Our exchange student was recalled to France and we began to panic about her safety - and our safety taking her to the airport. Suddenly the need for gloves and alcohol wipes and sanitiser was very real.

School holidays began early for the kids and that eased the pressure a bit but at the same time raised the anxiety that life as we know it was about to change forever. And then yesterday, I finished work for the term and there was no reason why we couldn't retreat to our own little bunker and try to do our bit by keeping away from everyone else.

And so begins an eerie, anxiety ridden, uncertain time for everyone.
The best we can do is stay hopeful and do what we're told. I cry every time I think of not seeing my grown up kids or my beautiful grandchildren for the foreseeable future. My heart breaks for Taine, stuck in the house with us with no sport or theatre or face to face contact with friends. I'm disappointed about the holidays and adventures that we'll miss. But I know we are the lucky ones. As public servants we get paid regularly, we live in the country where personal space is plentiful and although my age puts me just into the higher risk category, we are, for the most part, mentally and physically well.

When the school holidays are over, we'll be flat out navigating our way through online learning. I feel like we're pretty well prepared for that but how it will work in actuality remains to be seen. Its hard enough engage some kids when they're at school; no doubt distance will not make their hearts grow fonder!

But for now, we need a routine. Exercise, healthy food, intellectual stimulation, sleep, repeat.
Today we managed most of those goals. I walked 4 km, Geoff invented a delicious zucchini and sweet potato soup, I read a couple of education articles and, in a major show of self control, waited until 6pm to open the wine.

We can only control our own behaviour and our own reactions.
It feels ineffectual but he least (most) we can do is stay home and let our brave first responders get on with their jobs.
One day at a time.
#stayhome #staysafe #stayalive

No comments:

Post a Comment